Friday, November 16, 2007

Om Shanthi Om

There are two kinds of movie-goers in India. The first kind, that I feel is more predominant, just want an out-and-out masala movie with all the colors, glamour, big movie stars, and larger-than-life feel to it. Then you have the other kind who want to see something meaningful, something which they can learn from, or something that will give them food for thought.

Om Shanthi Om is a sure shot winner with the former category but a let down with the latter category. Okay there has to be another category, which is where I fall, of viewers who want a little bit of both. Whatever it may be, you can't fail to appreciate the beautiful sets; Manish Malhotra and Karan Johar's costumes.

The story, unfortunately, is distorted to me. Okay I buy the whole reincarnation theme. What I don't understand is why ony Shah Rukh Khan is reincarnated and not Deepika Padukone. While Om is able to remember his past and 'born with a vengeance'. Why is Shanthi's double just that - her double; and not her reincarnation.

The next topic that must be discussed - Shah Rukh Khan's abs! Face it, he is another middle-aged man who instead of buying a sports car or a condo, ends up building abs that don't even suit his personality. Of course, that's cause he already has the sports cars and the condos. But guess what Shah Rukh, your face gives it all away! Now this is where I stop or I know Ill get a howler from my friend G! (one of those die hard SRK fans that still cries when she sees Kuch Kuch Hota Hai)

Newcomer Deepika Padukone impressed me. Her first scene didn't srike a cord with me. But through the movie she improved; and looked great and acted decently. Atleast she had a variety of expressions (Watch out Aishwaya Rai.. or is it Aishwara Bachan?)

The highlight of the movie for me - The Om Shathi Om song.. Oh yeah, I mean the second one 'cause I think there were 3 or 4 of them- The one after SRK wins the film awards. That was 5 minutes that kept me guessing which star would appear next. I think Farah Khan sent out an open invitation for anyone and everyone in the industry to guest-appear and those that accepted were present in the song. Nevertheless, that was the most entertaining bit for me and DH & I had the most fun in the movie only then.

Overall we would have been happy watching the movie on a 2 dollar DVD rather than spending 25 dollars for the tickets and our usual popcorn (with looots of butter!) But why cry over spilt milk!?

Oh and I can't tell you how packed the theatre was. In fact, I've never seen so many Indians in one place in US before. Well, I guess we're all suckers for the glitz & glam of the movies!

Special Thanks to my girl friends who read my blog and pointed out my error! Sorry Ms. Farah Khan!

4 comments:

Mysteeque said...

Babes.. Good review.. I loved deepika..though.. it really dint look like her first movie...seemed more like she was a natural..
SRK abs.. suck.. they arent even the proper six pack...but he still rocks.. I actually wanna see the movie again just for him and the way he speaks his toota phoota english and says "fish it"..

Oh yeah.. this is Farah Khan's movie de.. not Bhansali.. that would be Saawariya...lol

Sini said...

Babe...OSO is Farah Khan's movie..not Sanjay leela bhansali. SLB brought out Saanwariya this season, which was a super flop. :)...woman!!!

Sini said...

oh, u published my comment....arent u sweet:). Me havent seen the movie...cant go...:(...have to jus be fine wit watchin it on dvd....for 6 more mos i guess!

Ne-Na-M said...

hahah love your comment on shah rukh's abs...so didnt suit him and i agree though am a fan of his...shahrukh without shirt on and salman with a shirt on doesnt sell well...sorry for the comment being late...just caught up with all ur blogs:)